The 2017 MTN Solution Space Scholarships application is ongoing. The goal of the scholarships offered at the Solution Space is to nurture a new generation of leaders, teaching them to see past “business as usual”. Through testing new models, these bold and visionary leaders will be equipped to shape Africa’s future for the better. The scholarships are aimed at supporting mid-career professionals and entrepreneurs who have shown a commitment to local development. These scholarships were created for African leaders for whom a post-graduate qualification is an integral part of their continued journey toward building a better world.
MTN Solution Space Scholarship recipients are known for their professional integrity, bold and visionary leadership, a spirit of innovation and inquisitiveness, active collaboration, entrepreneurial drive and track record of action. While scholars are distinct in their professional goals and ambitions and hail from all over Africa, they are united in their common goal: to have a significant impact in the world.
MTN Solution Space Scholarships are open to candidates applying to either the Masters in Business Administration or Masters of Philosophy in Inclusive Innovation at the University of Cape Town Graduate School of Business.
The MTN scholarships are made possible through the generous support of our industry partner, MTN Group.
We believe in bright ideas, combined with passion, resources and a strong network, to create profound solutions. We believe in the potential of individuals to boldly envision and pioneer solutions for Africa, by Africa, in Africa. We believe in committed agents of change to shape the future of our continent”
– Paul Norman (Chief Human Resources and Corporate Affairs Officer, MTN Group)
WHO CAN APPLY FOR MTN SCHOLARSHIP – ELIGIBILITY
To be considered for a MTN Scholarship:
- Applicants must be a citizen of an African country and a Permanent Resident for at least 1 year.
- Applicants should apply to pursue either the MBA or the MPhil in Inclusive Innovation programme at the UCT GSB. Applicants will only be able to take up the MTN Scholarship if successfully admitted to the UCT GSB programme. For full details about the MBA programme or MPhil programme, criteria and how to apply to the business school click here
- Financial Need Criteria
Financial Need must be illustrated as follows:
- Full declaration of all details required must be recorded in the space provided on the Affidavit for the MTN Scholars Program at the University of Cape Town
- Details of all property and assets of any nature must be declared on the Affidavit provided.
- UCT reserves the right to request that applicants furnish evidence of answers/statements on the application form. If it is found that the provided information is false or untrue, the University further reserves the right to disqualify an application and/or to cancel and recover any scholarship funds that may have been paid out to an awardee.
MTN Scholars are known for their professional integrity, bold and visionary leadership, a spirit of innovation and inquisitiveness, active collaboration, entrepreneurial drive and track record of action.
What this means to us is:
Be honest | Deliver on promises | Do what is right | Be truthful to others and yourself | Be trustworthy and reliable
Lead by example | Be an inspiration | Provide vision | Be accountable, take ownership | Be dependable
Be creative, create new ideas | Do things differently | Be original | Focus on solutions | Think outside the box
Work together, cooperate | Share ideas through teamwork | Be caring and friendly | Show respect | Communicate
- Can do
Be positive | Believe in yourself | Show willingness | Endure and have courage | Believe it can be done
- Entrepreneurial spirit
Create value | Deliver excellence | Exploit opportunities | Be adaptable | Plan for growth
Key dates for the application process are given below.
|Applications open||1 August 2017|
|Application deadline||31 October 2017|
|Scholarship shortlisting||November 2017|
|Shortlisted applicants invited for interview||Mid-November 2017|
|Interviews||Late November 2017|
|Scholarships offered||Early December 2017|
We advise that you begin your application as early as possible and do not wait until the deadline. Applications should be submitted by midnight on the evening of 31 October 2017.
Once your application has been received, a shortlisting committee will evaluate your application using our selection criteria for the Scholarship, to produce a final interview list.
We hold interviews in late November. If you are unable to attend in person we will interview you by Skype or phone. We aim to tell you within a week of the interview whether you have been successful.
HOW TO APPLY
Click here http://www.gsb.uct.ac.za/solution-space-scholarships To apply for a MTN Scholarship without applying to the business school.
The following criteria apply in the selection of MTN Scholars.
- Applicant has started or worked in an entrepreneurial venture, or demonstrated entrepreneurial and innovative strategies within an organisation for at least one year. Applicants should be able to demonstrate experience or strong interest in their chosen focus area (education, health, smart cities). A track record of exploring or initiating innovative approaches in these sectors is preferable.
- Applicants must demonstrate professional integrity, bold and visionary leadership, a spirit of innovation and inquisitiveness, active collaboration, entrepreneurial drive and a track record of action.
- Applicants must demonstrate some need for the scholarship, through either previous work experience, personal background or demonstrated commitment to start a venture, which makes self-funding the programme a significant burden.
The University of Cape Town reserves the right to disqualify ineligible, incomplete and/or inappropriate applications.
The University of Cape Town reserves the right to change the conditions of award or to make no awards at all.
The successful candidate will be required to:
- be registered for a full or part-time study on the MBA/MPhil at the UCT Graduate School of Business;
- comply with the University’s approved policies, procedures and practices for the postgraduate sector; and
- take an entrepreneurial route in their studies (via research and elective choices) and contribute to the GSB’s Entrepreneurship or Technology Club
An MTN Scholarship is awarded for one or maximum of two years and covers the full cost of tuition and registration fees at UCT GSB, as set by the business school.
The Scholars can also apply for several types of funding on a discretionary basis. For example an economy-class travel allowance for Scholars travelling from their home country to the business school at the beginning and back home at the end of their degree programme, a stipend, or to attend additional conferences or workshops, or conduct fieldwork and pilots.